Founded in the year of 1968, the Municipal University of São Caetano do Sul is a public university and today there are 40 undergraduate courses, 4 master's degrees, a doctorate, and even a research institute. In a context that poses new questions and unpublished questions, in order to keep an eye on the future, the University can not avoid a paradigm shift in the recruitment and enhancement of people, in the design of services, in the rethinking of spaces, in the will of an opening to the outside world that allows us to affirm the full social value of research and teaching.
Municipal University of São Caetano do Sul pursues a triple mission:
• Promote accessibility to university education Thanks to its active presence, the Municipal University of São Caetano do Sul is able to offer a complete and accessible training to all its students through its network of two university institutions.
• Contribute to the scientific development of Brazil In addition to the university training, which is the first vocation of the São Caetano do Sul Municipal University, the network is actively engaged in the scientific development of Brazil.
• Free and engaged basic and applied research, whose ultimate goal is to nurture learning and the appropriation of knowledge, is at the heart of the University's mandate.
Approach to Teaching and Learning
We support an inquiry-based approach to learning, which means we encourage our students to become independent and self-motivated . Through the study program we offer we will develop the qualities that employers appreciate in today's graduates - qualities that will set our studens apart in their future career.
To help students develop the aforementioned skills, we adopt a variety of teaching methods. They can include:
Lectures - listening to experts who share their knowledge and discoveries in stimulating and provocative ways. Students are expected to "read" the topic of their lessons, increasing their understanding and developing their critical faculties and analytical skills.
Seminars - where sutdents present and discuss your ideas and knowledge in small groups and discuss interpretations and opinions with their colleagues.
Exercises: this is thechance to discuss the work with a tutor, usually in small groups.
Workshop: problem solving sessions facilitated by a member of the academic staff; these sessions usually involve students working in groups.
Laboratory work: this is your chance to gain practical experience and apply the knowledge learned in a laboratory environment. This applies above all to science and technology courses.
Support for learning
The transition to a new way of learning can be a challenge. We offer a complete support system that will assist you and encourage students in every phase of their university study:
Students will be assigned a personal tutor who will provide help and advice on any problems related to the study and will help them monitor and reflect on their progress. It is their responsibility to organize regular meetings with the personal tutor.
Description of the city of Sao Caetano do Sul
Population: 152,093 inhabitants.
- Area: 15.36 km2
- Strategic location: 12 km from the center of São Paulo; 9 km from Congonhas Airport; 23 km from Guarulhos International Airport and 77 km from the port of Santos.
- 100% of basic infrastructure: 100% of treated waste, 100% of collected garbage and 100% of houses with water supply.
The most developed municipality in the country according to the Index of Municipal Development of the Federal Republic of Rio de Janeiro (data Firjan 2006)
High life expectancy: 87.2 years
- Literacy rate is above 99%